Wondai Free Camp is near where they hold the Wondai markets. It’s a place I had wanted to visit for a few weeks. We had been staying at the Kingaroy showgrounds, as well as on a private property, in the surrounding area for a couple of months and thought this might be a nice day out. We had already checked out some of the local markets. The one at Kingaroy Showground was small but local, whereas Nanango market (around 20 minuets away) was absolutely enormous. There is also one next to the 48hr Free Camp In Wooroolin we visited. They are all roughly in driving distance from each other on different weekends.
Wondai Free Camp
As Wondai is only around 32km from Kingaroy, we went to have a look around the market, and a bonus is we checked out the Wondai free camp and shops while we were there.
As mentioned, this free camp reminded me of the nearby Wooroolin Free Camp, around 13km south. They are both 48hr free camps, have a market, near shops, have toilets and shower and they are both long grassy area that will fit any size rig. The Wondai Free Camp however is in a big, little town (if that makes sense?)
Wondai Free Camp Amenities
As well as having 24hr toilets, I believe there are also showers, This block is located in the centre of the camp. There is also has a dump point at one end of the area should you need it.
Also at one end of the camp is the Art Gallery where the Wooroolin CWA sell coffee, tea, cakes, slices and Devonshire tea. It also looks like there may have been a book exchange here also?
Walk past the Gallery to Coronation park. Here you’ll find electric BBQ’s that you can use and then enjoy relaxing in one of the undercover picnic areas. Bins are also handy here. There is also a play area for the kids and more toilets are located in this park.
Opposite Coronation park are a nice row of shops, the Hotel Cecil is also here. A news agent, IGA, pharmacy, bottle shop, laundry and post office are just a few handy near by places.
One shop I would like to go back and visit (as we didn’t go in this time) is Soul Moon Energies. They do coffee and cake, clothing from size 6 to 22 as well as books, crystals, cards atc.
A short walk from the camp is also a butcher, bakery, diner, swimming pool, vinnies, fish and chips shop, visitors info centre and RSL, to name but a few.
Wondai market is located at Coronation Park on the 4th Saturday of the month. I noticed a fabulous clothes stall called Weeping Willow Boutique that is at other markets in the area. Local fruit and veg can be purchased. We bought a couple of custard apples which were yummy! honey, plants as well as arts, crafts and jewellery stalls are here. A couple of musicians were also playing under the pavilion.
Wondai is yet another small country town that supports us travellers. Stay a while at Wondai Free Camp or take a look around as you pass through. It’s well worth a look!
- Location : Wondai
- Click for Google map location
- State: QLD
- Pets: Yes
- Camp type : 48hr Free Camp Rest Area
- Price : $ Free
- Water ? : No
- Power ? : No
- Will suit: All sized vehicles
- Is it on Wikicamps ?: Yes
- Drive time to nearby shops: 1 minute walk
- WIFI (tested with boost): Yes
- Amenities : Showers, toilets, dump point – A Laundry is opposite Coronation Park
- Other : a minute walk to the art gallery, Coronation park with it’s BBQ’s, undercover picnic areas, play area, more toilets. Shops, pub, cafe, info centre, post office, IGA, pharmacy, news agents and lots more
Other Post You Might Like
- The Nearby Wooroolin 48hr Free Camp – QLD
- Free Camps Around Australia
- Camps Under $20
- How To House Sit Around Australia
- Installing Our Caravan Diesel Heater
- 15 Lessons Learned Full Time Caravanning
- Jayco Slide Out Re Syncing
- 10 Caravan Kitchen Must Haves
- Security Tips When Free Camping
- 22 Water Saving Tip For Caravanners
- 10 Toilet Tips & Tricks
- Travel Budget Tracking Spreadsheet
- Our Caravan & Camping Shop
- Off Grid & Self Sufficient Caravan
- Crossing The Nullarbor – Our 7 Camps